Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Human Rights groups taken to task at RNC

Recognizable actor Ron Silver spoke at the Republican National Convention where he took so-called "Human Rights" supporters to task.

"Even though I am a well-recognized liberal on many issues confronting our society today, I find it ironic that many human rights advocates and outspoken members of my own entertainment community are often on the front lines to protest repression, for which I applaud them but they are usually the first ones to oppose any use of force to take care of these horrors that they catalog repeatedly."

I mention this because these human rights groups have long annoyed me for the same reason. I've even written several letters to Human Rights Watch attacking them for being the first to denounce human rights violations, yet the first to protest actually doing something about them. American military might has stopped more human rights violators in the last century than these Human Rights groups will in the entirety of their existence. Groups like HRW sit around a table drinking their Starbucks coffee and chit chatting about what a terrible world we live in. Maybe hold up some protest signs every now and then. Meanwhile, American soldiers (not to mention our coalition partners) are getting it done in the real world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home